Guest post by Jody Kesten
We are finally feeling the onset of autumn and the holiday season with brilliant colors and clear blue skies. Autumn is a time that is filled with wind and the energy of movement that is called Vata.
Vata is the dominant energy which is needed for the change and transformation that is happening all around us and within us this time of the year. Although we enjoy this vibrancy, it can cause us to have a harder time feeling grounded and calm; we may stress more easily or become depleted faster. In preparation for the holiday activities, what will help us stay grounded and enable us to better enjoy ourselves, our friends and loved ones?
To re-ground and re-center, try some abdominal breathing:
- Lie on your back and relax.
- As you inhale, the downward movement of the diaphragm should push your stomach outward.
- As you exhale, the stomach will sink back down. This breathing feels like the stomach is actually filling with air.
- Find the rhythm of breath that is smooth and most relaxing for your body.
Then try filling the lungs with air:
- Inhale and from the belly bring the air to the bottom of the lungs.
- Continue inhaling to open and expand the rib cage upward and out to the sides, and under the shoulders.
- Exhale slowly from the top to the bottom contracting the abdominal muscles at the end of the exhalation.
Access your innermost wisdom. Join Jody Kesten on retreat at Villa Sumaya on Lake Atitlan in the mountains of Guatemala from April 7-14, 2018. This will be a magnificent week to reflect, breathe, bounce, swim, move, learn and play as spring 2018 gets started.