Join Katie and Declan O’Connell, owners of Dragonfly Yoga & Ayurveda Studio & Retreat Center for a mystical yoga adventure in Guatemala’s volcanic highlands at the exquisite Villa Sumaya Retreat on beautiful Lago Atitlan for a gorgeous week of yoga overlooking the lake, sumptuous organic vegetarian meals, beautiful bungalows, each with a sweeping view of the magnificent volcanoes, and so much more! Yoga classes feature Vinyasa Flow, Yin, Restorative, Yoga Nidra, as well as pranayama and meditation to help you connect to the elements and energy of this wondrous location.
Optional excursions could fill your days with hiking, kayaking, bodywork, visiting local villages via boat taxi, and shopping in the markets…! Or you can sunbathe on the dock, nap in a hammock, soak in the solar hot tub or steam in the sauna, not to mention relaxing in the healing pool or wandering the lush jungle pathways adorned with beautiful flowers! Check out this Yoga Journal article on the place we’ll be staying!
Each room is beautifully furnished and uniquely decorated with authentic Mayan tapestries and handicrafts. All rooms have either a veranda or porch overlooking the lake and volcanoes, so beautiful, you will never want to leave! Rates include three nourishing organic vegetarian meals per day, twice daily yoga classes, and a transformational Mayan Fire Ceremony to close our amazing week together. Guests can add spa treatments, excursions, hiking, kayaking, and so much more!
Katie’s last visit here was for a month in 2006, and the retreat center has grown exponentially in beauty, services, and in its consciousness since then. Local Mayan villagers, farmers, and artists continue to work in tandem with the retreat to provide us with amazing service, food, excursions, and an authentic cultural experience in the heart of the Guatemalan highlands.
“You will be amazed by the beauty here! I am so excited to lead a retreat after ten years of being away! Guests will love everything about this magical place and its wonderful people!” ~Katie, E-RYT 500, Ayurveda Health Practitioner and Ayurveda Yoga Specialist, Thai Yoga Therapist, Reiki II Practitioner, Director: Dragonfly Yoga Teacher Trainings, and owner Dragonfly Yoga & Ayurveda, Studio & Retreat Center, NH
- 8 days & 7 nights at the exquisite Villa Sumaya Retreat on the shores of Lago Atitlan
- 3 amazing, consciously-prepared vegetarian meals each day, beginning with dinner on arrival day and breakfast on departure day
- Unlimited tea, filtered drinking water, and the most amazing coffee on Earth!
- Twice daily yoga, meditation, yoga nidra, pranayam classes for all levels
- Use of yoga space and all props for our group–you don’t need to bring a thing!
- Two excursions, including a transformational group Mayan fire ceremony to close our journey, and one other TBA!
- Travel costs to Villa Sumaya (flights from home to Guatemala City, ground taxi and boat ride to retreat: we will help you coordinate these with ease)
- Gratuities: Suggested tip per person to be shared by entire staff are $6-8 per day, approximately $50 per guest for the week, collected at the end of the week. Gratuities for drivers, boat taxis and anyone else you may want to tip are welcome.
- Spending money for Chi Chi markets where you will find pottery, textiles, amazing hammocks, handbags, clothing, tapestries, beaded jewelry… shopping the markets is an amazing experience here!
- Spa Services: Approximately $65/hr for luscious treatments!
- Numerous excursions from volcano hikes to zip lining to kayaking and more!
Pricing & Registration
Room rates are per person. Bring a friend and choose the amazing double rate, or enjoy the room to yourself at the affordable single rate! We cannot guarantee roommates. If you choose a double and we cannot pair you with a suitable roommate, you will pay the single rate. If you have a group of three and would like to book together, please let us know so we can inquire about the possibility of a triple room. Triple rates are the same as doubles. Your $500 deposit holds your room in this amazing retreat!
Right now enjoy $100 OFF during our EARLY BIRD SPECIAL!!
Book your spot before March 31st, and get $100 off the advertised rates below!!
Single Room Rate: $2,360 (Early bird $2,260). Pay deposit of $500 to secure your spot: (see HOME page and scroll down for link)
Double Room Rate: $2,045 (Early bird $1,945). Pay deposit of $500 to secure your spot: (see HOME page and scroll down for link)
Katie is a fun-loving yogi known for singing with her musical friends, her love of cooking, gardening, and snuggling with her kitty cat, 2 kids, and husband Declan, and of course, practicing YOGA! She can be found doing yoga in the mountain forest, on a rock, on a paddle board, in a river, in snowshoes, on the beach… anywhere! Katie has always been fascinated by dragonflies–their ability to transform, catch the wind, maneuver spirals and water dips with such grace, always shining irridescent in the sunlight, thus they have her spirit animal symbol. Offering weekend yoga retreats at her home studio Dragonfly Yoga and all over the world has become a passion!
Katie is an Experienced Registered Yoga Teacher (E-RYT), has been practicing yoga for 19 years, teaching yoga since 2003, training yoga teachers since 2011, and has completed over 750 hours of primary and advanced yoga study with Paula Tursi, Cora Wen, Sadie Nardini, Sudha Lundeen, Marisa Laursen and Dr. Marc Halpern, head of the California College of Ayurveda, with whom she earned a certification in the ancient science of Yoga Nidra and Ayurvedic Yoga Therapy. Katie is an Ayurvedic Health Practitioner and has over 900 hours of study as an Ayurvedic Practitioner and Ayurveda Yoga Therapist. She also has certifications in Thai Yoga with Peter Kaaberbol (2006), Sunny Klaber (2012), and T’ai Jamar Hannah (2013), and is also SUP Yoga trained. Her greatest teachers of all are her students, her own children, and her husband and partner in everything, Declan.
Katie leads international retreats, weekend yoga retreats and trainings, daily yoga classes, offers Ayurveda & Yoga consultations and workshops, private Thai Yoga bodywork, Yoga Mentoring, YTT, Ayurvedic Indian Cooking classes, Reiki, and more! Join her on a transformational journey into wellness, love, and joy!