Thank you for choosing to visit Villa Sumaya. We are READY to welcome you to our little piece of paradise once again! The safety of all our guests and staff is our top priority. For this reason, we have developed comprehensive COVID-19 protocols. Each department has worked hard to provide you with the very best service.
Please help us ensure your safety by observing all our COVID-19 protocol precautions. We hope your retreat adventure is a transformative and revitalizing experience.
- If you are arriving at an international airport or traveling through an international border crossing you will need a valid COVID-19 test (PCR/Polymerase Chain Reaction) to identify that it is the most accurate COVID-19 test. You will need a printed paper copy so they can check the validity of the laboratory’s stamp. If you have a rapid antigen test they will make you take another COVID-19 test at the airport upon arrival. Your test may not be accepted if the results are more than 96 hours old at the time you check-in at the airport.
- You will need to fill this out before boarding in the USA: https://servicios.igm.gob.gt/pasedesalud/en/
- Please check the latest entry requirements and restrictions before planning your trip.
- For our pre-booked guests, all check-in formalities will be completed online in order to reduce staff contact and time spent at reception. Guest registration.
- We recommend that you purchase travel insurance. Trawick International is the provider that has been recommended by other retreat organizers in our community. We recommend that group leaders call the office to get the info directly as they are covering more than just a typical trip. It also works for students. Note: you must select the optional add-on called “Cancel for Any Reason” that is available on the Safe Traveler’s First Class and the Voyager’s plans.
Transportation & Arrival
- For everyone’s safety, we request that you use our pre-approved drivers service with Kan Tours. They will arrange shuttles based upon the latest COVID-19 occupancy restrictions. They will also ensure that the boat trip segment of your arrival will be equally well organized and safe.
- Personal Protection Equipment: The driver’s area will be separated with a plexiglass shield. We request that everyone wear face coverings in and around the shuttle. Our drivers will wash their hands frequently and wear a face mask and shield. Disinfecting of the vehicle’s high-touch points: Frequently touched areas will be disinfected with every arrival (e.g. door handles, seat belt buckle, arm rests, device charging cords, boot handle).
- Luggage Disinfecting: We will clean the handles of the luggage with alcohol based disinfectant unless otherwise instructed.
- Guest’s temperature: We will take the temperatures of all arriving guests. If you present with a fever we will have an area of the hotel where you can be isolated prior to finding the medical care you may require.
- There are medical centers in two neighboring towns in the event that one needs emergency medical attention: Hospital Panamed, Tel +502 7762 0324 / 4224 2648 Centro Medico San Francisco, Tel +502 7762 0352
- Hand Sanitizer: We ask guests to use hand sanitizer upon arrival. There will be hand sanitizer in all the public areas.
- Registration: We kindly ask our guests to register in advance. This will help to lessen time and crowds in our courtyard.
- Payment Options: Please register in advance. Guest REGISTRATION.
- We prefer debit or credit cards to cash at this time.
- Room keys: All keys will be disinfected before being given to the guests. Guests will be responsible for their keys during the entire stay. THE ROOM KEYS WILL BE IN THE DOOR OF YOUR ROOM. You will be shown to your room.
- We ask that all guests wear masks, respect social distancing and frequently wash their hands in common areas of the hotel. Partitions have been installed in the reception.The number of cleanings in the common areas has increased.
- Hand sanitizer: We have hand sanitizer available throughout the hotels common areas for both guests and staff.
- Sanitizing: frequently touched surfaces are disinfected regularly, e.g. tables and chairs, door handles, light switches, bathroom faucets and handles, telephones, keyboard, hot water kettle, etc.
At Meal Time
- Social Distancing Dining Room: We ask that guests be seated in every other chair to maintain social distancing. Additional seating for dining will be provided as needed. We also have beautiful outdoor seating. We recommend that guests wear face coverings while socializing in the dining rooms.
- Waiters and Kitchen staff: Our staff will wear protective gear and have heightened kitchen sanitation standards.
- Service Style: We will provide plated meals available for guest pick up upon entry to the dining room. After meals, guests may place their dishes in a bus tub to minimize contact between guests and kitchen staff.
- Guests safety: We encourage guests to apply hand sanitizer before and after contacting and commonly used touch points in the dining area. For example: coffee urns, electric kettle etc..
- PPE for Housekeeping: All our Housekeepers wear protective gear.
- We offer guests 3 cleaning options
- You can elect to keep your room an “off limits space” and we will provide cleaning supplies so you are able to tidy up your room during your stay.
- Our staff can do a thorough cleaning mid-way through your visit.
- Our staff can provide regular daily cleaning services.
Please note that when our staff is cleaning your room it must be unoccupied.
- Before You Arrive: Our housekeepers follow a 5 step ventilation, sanitation and cleaning protocol to ensure each room is a safe space.
- Ventilation: All doors and windows will be opened to be sure the room has been thoroughly aired out
- Sanitizing: A water bleach solution will be sprayed on all high touch areas. We allow for this spray to dry which kills germs.
- Cleaning and Disinfect: We thoroughly wipe down and disinfect (for a second time) the entire room along with our normal cleaning and dusting procedures.
- Making up the rooms: After the first three sanitation steps, beds are made with clean linens and fresh towels are placed in the bathroom. Our linens are washed with disinfecting detergent and are hung in the sun to ensure there is no cross-contamination.
- Sweeping/Mopping: The floors are cleaned with a disinfectant.
- Stocking the Room: Toilet paper, tissue and water will be restocked.
- Once the room has been processed we do not re-enter until cleaning is required (guests may choose to opt out of our cleaning routine or to clean the room themselves).
Please note: Our Housekeepers clean hands between each step, use clean rags for each step and never use a rag from a different room. They also wear face coverings through the entire process.
- COVID-19 Symptoms: As employees arrive to work, their temperature will be taken. Any employee suffering from sore throat, dry cough, shortness of breath, fatigue, vomiting and / or diarrhoea will be asked to go home and not return to our center until their are cleared by the health clinic
- COVID-19 Precautions: Our staff has been instructed to always wear masks, wash hands frequently and remain 6 feet from our guests when possible.
- COVID-19 Procedures: Each department has been re-trained how to do their jobs based on current pandemic safety regulations.
- Sanitation: Our kitchen will be cleaned at regular intervals along with our COVID protocols.
- Disinfection of food equipment, utensils and tools: We continue to clean and disinfect key high-touch points e.g. food equipment and food contact surfaces including chopping boards.
- Personal Protection Equipment: All our staff wear disposable masks, gloves, hair nets.
- Menu Revisions: We will review menus to include more options of cooked food rather than raw food.
- Vegetable and fruits sanitation:, we ensure proper cleaning of vegetables using approved sanitizing agents.
We honor our group’s ability to sensibly determine proper social distancing and mask protocol within the studio space. We are offering some guidelines.
- All of our studio spaces are well ventilated. We encourage group leaders and students to open the large sliding glass doors in Tiger Temple, as well as the sliding windows in the Tara Temple on the upper pane. Please maintain maximum ventilation during practice times or consider a nature practice on the lawns. We also have a new 7 x 5 meter lakefront swimming/yoga platform.
- Each guest can choose a yoga mat, blocks, strap and eye pillow which they will use for the entire week. We will have masking tape available for you to write your name on each prop. We suggest that you leave your props on the bench in individual piles instead of restacking the props. We will have disinfectant and rags available for individuals to wipe down their equipment. We fully sanitize props between retreats.
- Be sure that mats are staggered, 6 feet from one another. If you have a large group you may want to consider two ongoing training sessions using one of our 3 temple/studio spaces. We also have a new 5 x 7 meter sunning/yoga platform for sunrise and sunset yoga practices, preferably when the sun is low. Ask us if you need help figuring out how you would like to set up your practice times.
- We clean the floor once a day. We will also clean all the high touch areas (double cleaning = 1 alcohol solution and 2 disinfectants). We will have a mop and disinfectant available for you as well if you would like to clean yourself more often. We encourage students to perform “karma yoga” or simple acts of service during retreat. Cleaning the temple space is an ideal task for deepening devotion and building presence.
- We will clean the bathrooms 2x during the day. We provide hand sanitizer throughout the center.
- Laundry: In the event this service is needed, our housekeepers will wash their hands before folding clothing and place clothing in a plastic bag to avoid contamination.
- Spa: Harmony Spa has been serving Sumaya for 30 years. Our many gifted practitioners would love to offer their services to you. During this time we are offering limited sessions. If you would like a session please inquire at the beginning of retreat at the front desk.
- Each of our services, activities, ceremonies, ritual, apothecary and tours will have its own set of safety precautions. We are continually evolving and building upon our knowledge of how to keep everyone safe. We will disclose more information at the time of the event.
- Spirit Dog Boutique: Our boutique will be open by request with limited occupancy (3 max). We ask that as you enter you sanitize your hands, wear a mask and stay 6 feet from others. We will also clean the store more often.
Note to Guests
We have effectively updated all our protocols from Airport Pick up, to Cleaning Rooms and Common Spaces to Dining Services. Even our gardeners are trained with safety in mind. However, it takes all of us to ensure that guests and staff remain as safe as possible. We ask you to put special attention to help keep fellow guests and our hotel employees free from the virus. We can’t do it alone. Thank you in advance for making this experience a win-win for yourself and our community at Villa Sumaya.